Paths for reporting sexual violence

OCAD University acknowledges that a decision to report sexual violence, either externally within the criminal justice system or internally through the university’s policies and procedures, involves potential implications. A complainant has the right to be informed of possible outcomes and implications of each relevant external or internal process and has the right to choose whether to report the incident(s) or not. The only exceptions to the complainant’s right to determine whether a report or complaint proceeds are in situations involving imminent risk (as outlined in Disclosing and limits to confidentiality).

OCAD U’s Health & Wellness Centre can answer your questions about reporting or making a formal complaint and the potential implications of doing so.

Reporting to police

An incident of sexual violence should be reported to the police division, municipal police agency or First Nations police agency in which the incident(s) took place. If you are uncertain of the police division, municipality or agency you should be reporting to, contact Toronto Police non-emergency line at 416-808-2222.

Incidents occurring on the OCAD U campus should be reported to:
Toronto Police, 52 Division
255 Dundas St W., Toronto
Non-emergency line: 416-808-5200

Information about what happens when you report to police can be found in Toronto Police’s Guide for Sexual Assault Survivors.

Reporting to OCAD University

OCAD U’s Policy on Prevention and Response to Sexual and Gender-based Violence outlines a detailed report and complaint process, and potential outcomes. OCAD U’s Health & Wellness Centre can walk student survivors through these processes in detail. The policy can also be found on the OCAD U website.

It is important to remember that OCAD University has limited jurisdiction to address allegations made against a person who is not a member of the university community. In these cases, survivors who wish to report are encouraged to contact police.

A report of sexual violence should be directed to Safety and Security Services non-emergency: 416-977-6000, Ext. 322.

If you chose, Health & Wellness staff may assist you in the reporting process.

A report of sexual violence to the university may result in one or more of the following measures and outcomes:

  • a safety plan for the complainant;
  • support in reporting the incident to police;
  • clear communication to the respondent that the behaviour is unwelcome and must stop;
  • measures to protect the complainant during any internal or external process, including interim measures placed on the respondent;
  • measures to protect the university community in situations where a risk is determined, including interim measures placed on the respondent.

A complainant has the right not to report an incident of sexual violence and move directly to the complaints process.

Filing a complaint

A survivor has the right to file a complaint under OCAD University policy with respect to an incident of sexual violence in which the respondent is also a member of the university community for the purposes of initiating the process set-out by university policy.

A complaint in which the respondent is a member of the staff or faculty of OCAD University will be filed with the Office of Diversity, Equity & Sustainability Initiatives (ODESI) and dealt with as per the provisions of the Respectful Work & Learning Environment Policy.

A complaint in which the respondent is a student or a student employee, will be filed to the Vice-Provost, Students in accordance with the provisions of the Policy on Prevention and Response to Sexual and Gender-based Violence.

A complaint can be filed if the respondent is currently a member of the university community, or was a member of the university community at the time of the incidents alleged in the formal complaint.

OCAD University’s Health & Wellness Centre can assist you with making a complaint and/or connect you with the appropriate office for receiving it.

Excerpted from OCAD University’s Policy on Prevention and Response to Sexual and Gender-based Violence.

Emergency info

If you are on campus and you — or anyone else — is at immediate risk of harm:

Contact 911 and OCAD U Safety & Security
at 416-977-6000, Ext. 511
or pick up any red phone to be immediately connected

Health & Wellness Centre
416-977-6000, Ext. 260
Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Are you safe?

If the perpetrator is at risk of harming you or others, contact 911 immediately and get to somewhere safe.

If you do not feel safe in your home, arrange to stay with friends or contact emergency housing services.

If you are having suicidal thoughts and/or think you may harm yourself or someone else, please go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.

If you are having trouble discerning how you feel or what you need, contact OCAD U’s Health & Wellness Centre, or any of the helplines or mental health services available in the community.