Studio Management Office
The Shops and Studios are teaching and working facilities intended for use by OCAD University students enrolled in studio courses. Open studio access is available only at times when classes are not in progress. All students using a shop or studio must demonstrate competence, technical skill, and knowledge of health and safety issues pertinent to the area before they are allowed access to the space. Students should expect to incur all material costs relevant to the size and scope of the projects they undertake in the shops and studios.
The Studio Management Office oversees the safe and successful operation of all shops and studios at OCAD U. Working alongside faculty and staff, the Studio Management office is responsible for:
• Overseeing technicians and class assistants
• Employing student monitors
• Health and safety training
• Equipment purchases and maintenance
• Liaising with faculty to provide studio support for curriculum
• Researching and implementing sustainable practices in the studios
• Managing inquiries related to studio access and use
• Administering shop and studio production materials fees
OCAD U houses over a dozen distinct art and design studios that support a wide range of practices including: jewellery, drawing and painting, ceramics, photography, fabrication, sculpture, casting, printmaking and integrated media. Each studio is maintained by a dedicated staff of technicians, class assistants, and student monitors, who are happy to help students gain first-hand experience.