Health and medical

What is the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)?

The University Health Insurance Plan is a mandatory health plan for all international students studying in Ontario. UHIP is a primary insurance plan that provides basic medical coverage for most doctor and hospital services in Ontario. The insurance is effective from September 1st each year until August 31st of the following year.

The cost for 12 months of coverage for a single student in 2017/2018 is $612. The UHIP fee is added to your student fees account at the time you register for courses and International Student Services at OCAD U will enroll you in the plan.  If your spouse and/or children accompany you to Ontario, they are also required to be enrolled in UHIP.  There are additional fees for family coverage.

You can get details on the coverage offered through the plan by visiting the UHIP website.

How do I get my UHIP coverage card?

You will need to register with and print your UHIP coverage card every year in September.  It is very important to carry this card with you at all times.

When you visit a clinic or hospital, you must show your UHIP card. Hospitals, clinics and medical labs in the UHIP Preferred Provider Network will submit the request for payment directly to the insurance company and you will not need to pay for the medical services at the time of your visit.

If you go to a hospital, clinic or medical lab that is not part of the UHIP Preferred Provider Network, you will have to pay for the services at the time of your visit. When you make a payment, be sure to get a receipt and ask the doctor to complete a UHIP Claim Form. You should then send the receipt and the claim form to the insurance company so that you can be reimbursed for your expenses.

What are the OCAD University Student Health & Dental Plans?

In addition to UHIP, students registered in 1.5 credits or more are automatically enrolled in OCAD U’s Student Health & Dental Plans.  These plans are separate from UHIP and offer coverage for many of the services not covered by UHIP.

What should I do if I get sick?

  1. Visit the OCAD U Health & Wellness Centre.
  2. Visit a Walk-in Medical Clinic Walk-in clinics are available for people who have medical problems that may need immediate attention but are not life-threatening. You do not need an appointment. You may not always see the same physician each time you go.
  3. Call Telehealth Ontario Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential telephone service you can call to get health advice or general health information from a registered nurse. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The service is offered in English and French, but translation support is available in many other languages.
  4. Visit the emergency room at a hospital in the UHIP Preferred Provider Network if you need emergency medical care.