Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Academic Accommodation?

Refers to a planned variation in the way a student with a disability receives course curriculum and materials, participates in course activities, or demonstrates competency of course content and skills through evaluation and assessment.

What is a Disability?

The definition of ‘disability’ is as defined in the Ontario Human Rights Code.

What are Essential Requirements?

Essential requirements are the learning outcomes, or skills, knowledge or attributes that must be achieved at a designated level in order for a student to be successful in the course. In order to achieve a learning outcome, there are usually a series of learning tasks or objectives that must be undertaken. It is often with these learning tasks/objectives that students require academic accommodations.

What are Functional Impacts/Limitations?

Functional Impacts/Limitations are areas of difficulty, for example in the area of Cognitive Skills/Abilities, Physical Skills/Abilities and Social‐Emotional Skills/Abilities, that are caused by a disability and affect academic performance. Functional Impacts/Limitations are used to identify reasonable academic accommodations.

What is a Temporary Disability?

A disability is considered to be temporary if the symptoms and functional impact are likely to be time‐limited.

What is a Permanent Disability?

A disability is considered to be permanent if it has on‐going (chronic or episodic) symptoms that will impact the student over the course of their post‐secondary studies and is expected to remain for their lifetime.

Do I need to disclose my diagnosis to Student Accessibility Services?

As per the Ontario Human Rights Code, students are not required to disclose their disability diagnosis to register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) or to receive academic accommodations and supports. There may be instances when a disability diagnosis is required, for example when the academic accommodation needs are complex. Students have the option of disclosing their disability diagnosis to SAS. There will be instances when the Type of Disability is required to establish eligibility for specific disability‐related supports/funding under the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

Will my disability information appear on my university transcript?

All disability information shared with SAS is confidential and will not be released without the written consent of the student. Your status with SAS will not be identified on your official university record, test results, academic transcripts or graduation documentation.

I think I may have a disability? What should I do?

If you feel you may have a disability that is impacting your academic performance but have never been formally assessed or diagnosed, please contact SAS to schedule an Intake appointment. The Accessibility Advisor will discuss external referral options for a medical and/or psychoeducational assessment through a regulated health care practitioner. You may be eligible for interim academic accommodations pending the external medical/psychoeducational assessment and receipt of appropriate documentation confirming the presence of a disability(ies).

I have a disability but did not have academic accommodations in place?

If you feel your academic performance was affected by your disability and you did not have accommodations in place, you may petition for academic consideration through the Office of the Registrar. Petitions are considered on a case‐by‐case basis and may include requests such as extensions beyond the end of the semester or late withdrawal from a course.

bio hira mavi su enginar macunu isveç şurubu diyeti spin mop tablet eskina baligi tasi epimedyumlu macun gümüş suyu dr piton no white hair glucogen borev bulaşık makinesi deterjanı