Here are some suggested professional development activities that can help broaden and enrich your experiential learning placement. Keep in mind that the placement partner is a valuable mentor and support throughout this placement.
- Conduct an Informational Interview with your Placement Supervisor, using the Guide for Informational Interviews
- Use the Feedback Form for a mid-point assessment and exit interview.
- Try an activity that you're unfamiliar with. This could be attending an event, an exhibition or screening, participating in an activity like a workshop, learning a new skill directly or indirectly related to your placement. Reflect on the experience using the Tips for Reflection. It’s a good idea to ask your Placement Employer or network for recommendations!
- Attend exhibitions, workshops and events on campus and at the Centre for Experiential Learning and OCAD U Gallery System: XPACE, OnSite Gallery, Ignite Gallery.
- Update your portfolio and résumé with projects, activities, and skills developed during your Placement.
- Request a portfolio review from a mentor in your network.
- Book an advising session with the Experiential Learning Program team for a discussion about your placement and how to make connections with your OCAD U studies and career goals
- Share your experience with other Experiential Learning Program students in Field Placement, Placement Courses, Work/Place, Design4 and CEAD Student Career Ambassadors.
- Write a detailed Thank You letter to supervisor, outlining what you appreciate having learned and the impact the Placement experience had on you.