What is a student mentee?
A Student Mentee is a first-year undergraduate student who, in their transition to OCAD U, is looking for support and guidance from a knowledgeable upper-year student volunteer Peer Mentor: involvement with the campus community; making new friends and engaging with faculty and staff; knowledge regarding OCAD U procedures; advice about student services; and information about extracurricular activities.
Get support, guidance and helpful tips...
Are you an enthusiastic and confident upper-year undergraduate student going into second-, third- or fourth-year and in good academic standing? Are you interested in getting involved and building community? Are you looking for a positive student experience? To enhance your communication savvy? Are you looking to strengthen self-confidence and interpersonal skills? Make new friends? Are you looking to emerge as a student leader? Become a Peer Mentor!
Mature Peer Mentors and International Peer Mentors:
Upper-year mature students (25+) and international students are welcome to become Peer Mentors too! As a Mature Student Mentor or International Peer Mentor, you would be matched with first-year mature or international students who can benefit from your diverse and shared experiences.
- See more at: http://www.ocadu.ca/CM/WebUI/PageTypes/GeneralContent2/GeneralContent2.aspx?PageID=168&PageMode=Preview#sthash.kMVq6zGT.dpufAre you an enthusiastic and confident upper-year undergraduate student going into second-, third- or fourth-year and in good academic standing? Are you interested in getting involved and building community? Are you looking for a positive student experience? To enhance your communication savvy? Are you looking to strengthen self-confidence and interpersonal skills? Make new friends? Are you looking to emerge as a student leader? Become a Peer Mentor!
Are you a new or first-year undergraduate who has accepted OCAD U's Offer of Admission? Are you looking for support, guidance, tips and helpful answers? Are you looking for a positive student experience? Do you have an interest in getting involved, making new friends and building community?
Whether you are an advanced standing or first-year, a mature or international undergraduate student, there is a supportive volunteer Peer Mentor who can share their diverse experience with you.
- Be an active and responsive participant
- Engage in dialogue with your Peer Mentor
- Retain your critical faculties: listen, think and evaluate
- Seek new skills and capacities; not just knowledge
- Be open to multiple influences and opportunities
- Take responsibility for your success as a student
- Support your own academic and social success
- Respond to your Peer Mentor's inquiries or be removed from the program
Your Peer Mentor commitment
- Connect with you and welcome you
- Ask questions and engage you in actual dialogue
- Share experience, information and knowledge
- Listen and provide answers to your questions
- Provide encouragement and guidance
- Introduce you to the OCAD U community
- Support your academic and social success
Student Mentee participation
To participate as an undergraduate Student Mentee, sign up anytime, May through September, by following these easy steps:
Complete and submit this online Student Mentee participation form.
(See Mentor/Mentee assignment schedule below)
Though connecting initially online, Student Mentees and Peer Mentors are encouraged to meet in person. However, you may be "geographically challenged" through the summer if you live in different parts of the planet, so CONNECT U, is designed as an informal opportunity to meet, perhaps for the first time at an official O-DAYS! activity in advance of the Labour Day weekend and BIG-O-Day! (Tuesday, September 4).
Wednesday, August 29, 2018
2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Details to be announced
This activity is hosted by Student Mentor Program. All new first-year undergrads are welcome! Special guest and inspirational speaker Andy Thibodeau will enlighten and entertain.
Mentor/Mentee assignment schedule 2018
Peer Mentor/Student Mentee assignment starts the first Tuesday in June each year. Campus Life will send assignment and contact information by email to Student Mentees and Peer Mentors at 4:00 p.m. per the following schedule:
- Tuesday, June 5
- Wednesday, June 13 (due to Convocation on Tuesday)
- Tuesday, June 19
- Tuesday, June 26
- Tuesday, July 3
- Tuesday, July 10
- Tuesday, July 17
- Tuesday, July 24
- Tuesday, July 31: no assignment due to staff vacation
- Tuesday, August 7: No Peer Mentor assignment due to staff vacation
- Tuesday, August 14
- Monday, August 20: last day to submit Student Mentee Application in order to wishing to have a Peer Mentor assigned August 21, in advance of O-DAYS! (orientation).
- Tuesday, August 21
- Tuesday, August 28: No Peer Mentor assignment due to O-DAYS!
- Tuesday, September 4: no assignment due to O-DAYS!
- Tuesday, September 11
- Tuesday, September 18 (if demand necessitates assignment)
Peer Mentor Awards
Peer Mentor Awards acknowledge those Peer Mentors who make outstanding contributions—in addition to maintaining regular communication with Student Mentees, participating in campus activities—while adhering to the mandate of the program. Find out how you can nominate your peer mentor!
Brent Everett James
Campus Life Coordinator
Student Success Programs
416-977-6000, Ext. 275