What is a student mentee?
A Student Mentee is a first-year undergraduate student who, in their transition to OCAD U, is looking for support and guidance from a knowledgeable upper-year student volunteer Peer Mentor: involvement with the campus community; making new friends and engaging with faculty and staff; knowledge regarding OCAD U procedures; advice about student services; and information about extracurricular activities.
Get support, guidance and helpful tips...
Are you an enthusiastic and confident upper-year undergraduate student going into second-, third- or fourth-year and in good academic standing? Are you interested in getting involved and building community? Are you looking for a positive student experience? To enhance your communication savvy? Are you looking to strengthen self-confidence and interpersonal skills? Make new friends? Are you looking to emerge as a student leader? Become a Peer Mentor!
Mature Peer Mentors and International Peer Mentors:
Upper-year mature students (25+) and international students are welcome to become Peer Mentors too! As a Mature Student Mentor or International Peer Mentor, you would be matched with first-year mature or international students who can benefit from your diverse and shared experiences.
- See more at: http://www.ocadu.ca/CM/WebUI/PageTypes/GeneralContent2/GeneralContent2.aspx?PageID=168&PageMode=Preview#sthash.kMVq6zGT.dpufAre you an enthusiastic and confident upper-year undergraduate student going into second-, third- or fourth-year and in good academic standing? Are you interested in getting involved and building community? Are you looking for a positive student experience? To enhance your communication savvy? Are you looking to strengthen self-confidence and interpersonal skills? Make new friends? Are you looking to emerge as a student leader? Become a Peer Mentor!
Are you a new or first-year undergraduate who has accepted OCAD U's Offer of Admission? Are you looking for support, guidance, tips and helpful answers? Are you looking for a positive student experience? Do you have an interest in getting involved, making new friends and building community?
Whether you are an advanced standing or first-year student, a mature student or an international student, there is a supportive volunteer Peer Mentor who can share their diverse experience with you.
By applying to participate as a Student Mentee, you are asked to:
- Be an active and responsive participant
- Engage in dialogue with your Peer Mentor
- Retain your critical faculties: listen, think and evaluate
- Seek new skills and capacities; not just knowledge
- Be open to multiple influences and opportunities
- Take responsibility for your success as a student
- Support your own academic and social success
- Respond to your Peer Mentor's inquiries or be removed from the program
Your Peer Mentor's commitment
You can expect your Peer Mentor to:
- Initiate contact with you via the email you provide
- Ask questions and engage you in actual dialogue
- Share experience, information and knowledge
- Listen and provide answers to your questions
- Provide encouragement and guidance
- Introduce you to the OCAD U community
- Support your academic and social success
Student Mentee application
Apply any time, May to September, through this convenient online form
(See assignment schedule below)
Mentor/Mentee assignment schedule 2017
Campus Life will send assignment and contact information by email to Student Mentees and Peer Mentors at 4:00 p.m. per the following schedule.
(If you do not get an email with a Mentee assignment on one date, then none has been assigned. Watch your OCAD U email on the next listed date).
Please initiate contact with assigned Student Mentees within three
business days (by Friday) of that same week:
- Tuesday, June 6
- Tuesday, June 13
- Tuesday, June 20
- Tuesday, June 27
- Tuesday, July 4
- Tuesday, July 11
- Tuesday, July 18
- Tuesday, July 25
- No Peer Mentor assignment August 1 due to staff vacation
- No Peer Mentor assignment August 8 due to staff vacation
- Tuesday, August 15
- Student Mentees wishing to have a Peer Mentor assigned in advance of
O-DAYS! (orientation) should apply no later than August 21.
- Tuesday, August 22
- No Peer Mentor assignment August 29 due to O-DAYS!
- No Peer Mentor assignment September 5 due to O-DAYS!
- Tuesday, September 12
Peer Mentor Awards
Peer Mentor Awards acknowledge those peer mentors who make outstanding contributions—in addition to maintaining regular communication with mentees, submitting monthly reports, and participating in campus activities—while adhering to the mandate of the program. Find out how you can nominate your peer mentor!
Brent Everett James
Campus Life Coordinator
Student Success Programs
416-977-6000, Ext. 275