OCAD U is excited to be offering this collaborative course with Joshibi University of Art and Design in Toronto’s sister city of Sagamihara, part of the Greater Tokyo Area. Joshibi University was the first fine art institution in Japan for women, and the oldest private art school in the country.
Course Description: With students at Joshibi University of Art and Design this course, led by Associate Professors Nicole Collins (OCAD U) and Linda Dennis (Joshibi U) will deepen student’s capacity to collaboratively address issues of Eco-feminism. Through responsive artwork in relation to the environmental crisis students will exchange digital material from their respective homes. Discussions work to build understanding of connection, materiality and their personal positionality to place. Lectures and demonstrations will introduce students across both Universities to current global feminist art practices, sustainable material explorations and the role of “touch” as a connective action. Student-driven research and experimentation with artmaking created from a home studio environment will be organized into an online exhibition, coordinated by guest artist and Drawing and Painting Chair Ilene Sova.
1. Research and critically examine contemporary feminist responses to the environmental crisis.
2. Produce artwork that interprets and expresses responses to materials exchange.
3. Develop collaborative working skills online with international classmates in a collective framework.
4. Formulate writing for artist statements, press outreach, social media channels and web communications.
5. Produce an exhibition for online platforms focused on community cultural-engagement and socially responsive modes of discussion.
Special Project Course – Summer Session
Course Title: Eco-Feminism Material & Touch (0.5 Credits)
May 17th - June 28th, 2021
Mondays and Wednesdays 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Course Code: CROS-S3004
Year Level – 3000
Delivery Method – ONLINE
- 8.0 credits overall - Must be completed prior to taking this course.
- 6.0 credits from ADVR ASOC BUSI CRCP CROS CRWR DIGF DRPT ENVR EXAN FABR GART GDES GRPH ILLU INDS INTM INVC IVCA IVCD LIFE MAAD PHOT PRPB PRNT SCIN - Must be completed prior to taking this course.
- 2.0 credits of first and second year from ENGL HUMN IVCL IVCV SCTM SOSC VISA VISC VISD VISM - Must be completed prior to taking this course.
Location: Online, Off-Campus
For questions please contact Nicole Collins at email@example.com
Images: Giotto's O by Nicole Collins
"Rhythms (Ocean & Garden)" by Linda Dennis
Follow OCAD U International to keep up to date with all our current projects, events and opportunities