OCAD University will be undertaking the redesign of Butterfield Park, thanks to funding from the TD Bank. Butterfield Park is the only outdoor space, at street level, on campus.
The design objectives for the project are to:
- Reflect OCAD U core values outlined in the Academic Plan: Sustainability, Accessibility, Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, Indigenous Culture and Heritage;
- Facilitate various types of activities with attention to layout, furniture, grading and surface texture;
- Respond to the urban context in a creative and inspiring way;
- Provide opportunities to integrate public art in the park; and
- Create a durable and easy to maintain park environment
Consultation and Feedback
There will be opportunities for everyone to provide input on the project via a survey available here, until July 10.
In addition, the Campus Planning and Projects department will coordinate engagement between the consultants and a redesign stakeholder group including OCAD U students, staff and faculty. The project team will also facilitate several meetings for the public community to gather input and share information.
Consultation, planning and design will begin in July and continue into the fall with a preliminary phase of implementation expected to commence in spring/summer 2021. Progress updates in general will be shared, regularly.
As the province and city begin to open up with caution, there is opportunity to imagine how this space will support our community to flourish in both familiar and new ways.