Gifts of Securities
A gift of publicly traded securities (stock) is both simple and tax-effective. A gift of securities enables you to make a larger gift at a much lower cost, since you would receive greater tax benefit through a gift of securities than you would if you opted to sell the securities and donate the cash proceeds to OCAD University. With a gift of publicly traded securities, you can eliminate capital gains tax and also realize immediate tax savings.
- Gifts eligible for this preferred tax treatment can include any of the following securities:
- Prescribed bonds
- Units of mutual funds
- Shares, warrants, bills and futures that are listed on the stock exchanges prescribed by Canada Revenue Agency
Benefits of gifting securities
- Eliminates the capital gains tax owing on the shares
- Official tax receipt issued for the fair market value of the gift, based on the closing price of the shares on the day the gift is received
- Choose how your gift is used, e.g., student aid, a particular academic program, or the area of greatest need
Gifts of Securities Transfer Information & Form
If you would like to discuss donating securities, please contact Melanie McRae, Manager, Donor Services, at (416) 977-6000, Ext. 481.