OCAD University’s RBC Centre for Emerging Artists & Designers and Shift Health have partnered to co-create the Shift Health Art Commissioning Program. The Shift Health Art Commissioning Program will commission five (5) emerging artists, representing different artistic practices, providing a diversity of artistic voices and approaches to create works of art for Shift Health’s new downtown space renovation.
Shift Health is planning a major office renovation, and we aim to create a space that inspires our team, welcomes diversity, and uplifts the voices, experiences and ideas of individuals, communities and populations who have not historically been at the forefront of the healthcare conversation. As such, we are commissioning works from artists who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, racialized, minoritized and/or LGBTQ2S+, inviting artists to bring their creativity and lived experience to an individual expression guided by the question: “What does the future of health and wellness mean to me?”
Each artist will be commissioned to produce one (1) original artwork. Artists will receive $5,000 per commissioned work to be purchased by Shift Health for permanent display with credit. Proposed artworks could be 2D works (painting, drawing, photography, prints), 3D (installation, sculpture), or digital media (video).
Shift Health brings a science mindset to strategy consulting for the health research and innovation ecosystem. Working with governments, academia, industry, not-for-profits, healthcare providers and patient partners across Canada and around the world, Shift Health is helping to create the future of healthcare.
DEADLINE: Monday, November 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (midnight)
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Each of the five (5) emerging artists will:
- Respond to the creative brief provided by the Shift Health
- Work closely with Shift Health and the CEAD to ensure the artwork or installation is appropriate for a public space, taking into consideration location, scale, lighting/display requirements, durability, and maintenance.
- Based on the artist’s initial concept proposal, each of the five (5) emerging artists will ensure that the final completed artwork is delivered to Shift Health by February 22, 2022.
RATE: $5,000 per commissioned work/artist
- Week of November, 29, 2021 – Artists are selected & notified
- December, 2021 - February, 2022 – Works in production
- Week of February 22, 2022 – Artwork delivered/installed
- Recent OCAD U grads (class of 2020, 2021) from any program.
- Proposed artwork can be hung from walls, suspended from ceiling or floor mounted. See site plan here.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Career Launcher opportunity.
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email) and current creative CV
- Website and/or Social Media handle
- A brief artist statement/bio that contextualizes your overall practice
(150 words max)
- A written proposal for an artwork responding to prompt “what does the future of health and wellness mean to me?”, and a description of what the created commissioned work will be (150 words max). If you would like to propose a specific location according to the site plan, please indicate it in the proposal
- A short statement outlining the potential significance of the opportunity to your practice and/or development (100 words max)
- 5 - 10 sample support images of past artwork, in a single PDF. A corresponding image list for the support images including: artist(s) name, title, year, medium, and dimensions