Every Child Matters Fundraiser - September 27-29
The Indigenous Student Centre will be selling orange toques for $20 (cash only) to raise funds for Save the Evidence and We Matter. Toques will be available for Indigenous OCAD students at no cost, for a limited time. To request a toque, please contact Reagan Kennedy (Student Success Coordinator) firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday September 29. Indigenous community members are invited to pay-what-you-can.
Where can I purchase a toque?
Indigenous Student Centre – OCAD U students, faculty and staff can purchase toques at the Indigenous Student Centre from Monday September 27-Wednesday September 29 between 9AM-5PM (closed from 12-1PM for lunch).
Butterfield Park – The general public along with the OCAD U community, can purchase toques on Tuesday September 28 between 11:30am-2:30pm.
Need someone to talk to?
The list below contains 24/7 support services for Indigenous people.
- Indian Residential School Crisis Line (For Survivors and Family) 1-866-925-4419
- Kids Help Phone Indigenous people can connect with an Indigenous crisis responder by messaging FIRST NATIONS, INUIT, or METIS to 686868 for young people and 741741 for adults or through Facebook Messenger
- FNMI Hope for Wellness Hotline 1-855-242-3310
- Anishnawbe Mental Health Crisis Line 416- 891-8606
- Talk4Healing Indigenous Women 1-855-554-4325
- Aboriginal Crisis Intervention Line 416-531-0330
The artwork in this design, featuring interlocking hands made to resemble a sweetgrass braid, is by OCAD U alumni Mariah Meawasige (Serpent River First Nation).
On September 30 2021, classes will be cancelled. Orange Shirt Day, is now also recognized as the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Orange Shirt Day was started by survivor Phyllis (Jack) Webstad. Phyllis was gifted a new orange shirt by her grandmother for her first day of school. Her shirt along with other items, was taken away on her first day of residential school at St. Joseph's Mission in British Columbia. Orange Shirt Day is held annually on September 30.