Interested in working in media arts? OCAD University’s Integrated Media program might be for you.
In this program, artists who work in the field as media makers will teach you:
- Electronics and interactivity
- Creative coding
In this program, you will learn technical and creative skills you can apply to a variety of media and digital artworks. Many of our students choose to work in video production, but the choice is yours.
At the end of this four-year program, you will earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Get more details about the program.
Graduates of this program have gone on to:
- Work artists using various mediums
- Film, video and television production
- Curating and arts administration
- Arts education
- Graduate studies in art, cultural criticism, digital media production and physical computing
OCAD U offers so much more than co-ops because creative careers take many forms. Our approach is specialized, and individual to every student’s needs and goals. You will be able to take advantage of:
- Short experiential learning placements from among hundreds of organizations
- Creative in-class projects with real-world industry partners
- Exclusive summer internships
- Gallery exhibitions of your work
- Freelance creative opportunities
- Jobs after graduation
OCAD University’s dedicated support services will help you build a professional community, valuable experience and skills necessary for a meaningful career.
WHAT YOU’LL DO IN THE PROGRAM
Before you focus on Integrated Media, your first year at OCAD University will be in our first year art program. You will have many course choices to build a strong base for future years. A few are mandatory, such as art history, colour, drawing, and time based media, but the rest of your classes could include:
- Sculpture concepts
- Wearable art
- Body and technology
- Art and code
In second year, you will still have a lot of course options for classes but Integrated Media courses will be your core area of study. Required courses are Contemporary Issues and Hybrid Media Lab. Classes of choice include:
- The moving image
- History of new media art
- Hybrid media lab
- Electronics or physical computing
- Sonic Arts
Third year features your choice of art classes and these two required INTM courses:
- Media Research Project
- Integrated Media Studio Practice
In fourth year, you’ll be able to focus on your interests even more. You will learn to manage production and take upper-year classes in areas that interest you. You’ll also work on your thesis or final project and showcase your work at OCAD U’s GradEx, the biggest free art and design exhibition in Toronto with over 40,000 visitors.