In this program, you’ll create the technologies that shape the way we live, work, and play. You’ll develop games, wearable technology, mobile apps, VR, interactive installations, and augmented reality. You will learn how these new technologies can solve problems, deal with contemporary issues, and create future possibilities.
Develop core digital skills, while learning the value of working together in a creative environment. This program blends art and design so you have the opportunity to explore your own interests. You’ll take a diverse range of art, design, and liberal arts classes to create a customized course of study.
You will also work directly with our industry and community partners through real-world testing and internships. The broad range of skills covered in Digital Futures are made possible by our internationally renowned faculty whose expertise span art, design, science, and business. Learn more about them:
- Kate Hartman: Wearable Technologies
- Haru Ji: Interactive Media Arts
- Martha Ladly: Data Visualization
- Immony Men: Art & Community
- Alexis Morris: AI & Connected Devices
- Cindy Poremba: Games & Interactive Documentaries
- Nick Puckett: Responsive Architecture
- Suzanne Stein: Strategic Foresight
- Adam Tindale: Music Technologies
- Emma Westecott: Game Design
At the end of this four-year program, you will earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Bachelor of Design degree. Learn more about the program.
Graduates of this program have in-demand jobs that blend technical ability, art and design. This includes:
- Game design and development
- UI / UX
- VR / AR development
- Creative technologist
- Communications and data visualization
- Interaction design
Some students pursue graduate studies in art, craft, design , ceramics, fashion, jewellery, textiles and museum studies.
OCAD U offers so much more than co-ops because creative careers take many forms. Our approach is specialized, and individual to every student’s needs and goals. You will be able to take advantage of:
- Short experiential learning placements from among hundreds of organizations
- Creative in-class projects with real-world industry partners
- Exclusive summer internships
- Gallery exhibitions of your work
- Freelance creative opportunities
- Jobs after graduation
OCAD University’s dedicated support services will help you build a professional community, valuable experience and skills necessary for a meaningful career.
WHAT YOU’LL DO IN THE PROGRAM
In first year, you’ll take courses in Digital Futures that introduce a wide range of skills of digital and physical design skills. In first year, you’ll also choose from a wide range of electives based on your interests such as:
- Computer coding
- Art and design history
- Physical computing
- Game design
- Art and code
- Time-based media
Second year and third year are organized around the Atelier courses. Ateliers courses take place in hands-on studio and research lab spaces for you to create and test projects driven by new technologies. You’ll work in teams with your fellow students and faculty to create work in areas such as:
- Computer software and coding
- Smart phone app development
- Game design
- Digital art
- Social media trend forecasting
- Computer science history
- Digital business
- Wearable computing
In fourth year, you’ll develop an individual or group thesis project. This project gives you the opportunity to spend two semesters developing a project that you are passionate about. At the end of this year, you will showcase this work at OCAD U’s GradEx, the biggest free art and design exhibition in Toronto with over 40,000 visitors. You’ll also take classes in entrepreneurship and leadership in the digital economy.