Guide to Admissions
1. Choose your area of study: OCAD University offers three undergraduate degrees — a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Design (BDes) or a Bachelor of Arts (BA) — in a wide array of different programs. All undergraduate programs can be completed in four years of full-time study. If you need help deciding which of our programs best suit you, come to one of our many events throughout the year, peruse our viewbook and course calendar or do some homework by talking to people who are active in these fields.
2. Learn about our admission requirements: Admission to OCAD U’s studio programs (Bachelor Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts) is based primarily on an assessment of your portfolio of work. Admission to the Bachelor of Arts in Visual and Critical Studies is based on a combination of a review of a written assignment and your academic records. All applicants must submit a Statement of Intent and must meet minimum academic requirements. International applicants are welcome and should familiarize themselves with special requirements. OCAD U offers many transfer pathways for students with previous post-secondary experience.
3. Submit your application online: All applicants apply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC). The application will be made available in October and the deadline to apply for the 2018/2019 academic year is February 1, 2018.
4. Submit your portfolio (for admission to BFA, BDes programs): All applicants are required to submit a digital portfolio online through SlideRoom. Most portfolio submissions are reviewed in February each year. You will be notified of all dates and deadlines and will be provided with instructions for submitting your portfolio by email after you apply.
Submit your writing sample (for admission to the BA in Visual and Critical Studies): You will be emailed the topic for the writing sample after your application has been processed.
5. Await your conditional offer of admission: Offers of Admission will begin to be sent out by email at the end of March, 2018. The lastest date that an applicant should expect to hear from us with a decision is May 26, 2018. All offers are conditional upon the completion of the admission process (meeting academic requirements and submitting necessary documents).
6. Respond to your offer of admission: After you respond to your offer of admission via OUAC, OCAD U will be notified electronically that you have accepted your offer of admission. OCAD U will send you correspondence (via email) that will include important dates, deadlines and information about online registration. You will need to pay a $500 non-refundable deposit in order to secure your spot at OCAD U.
7. Plan your year: Ensure you have the necessary financial resources for tuition, fees, supplies and living expenses. Arrange housing if required. Attend our summer orientation programs and register for your classes online.
8. See you in September!
For information on the admissions process for our graduate programs please visit the Graduate Studies section of our website.