Jerusalem - Photo by John Del Rosario
Imagine spending a semester as an exchange student in the United Kingdom, Europe, Israel, Australia, China, Vietnam, Brazil, the United States or another part of Canada, and receiving credit towards your OCAD University degree! Living and studying in another country can provide you with a wealth of unique experiences to enhance your creative, academic and personal development.
International Student Services coordinates a wide variety of undergraduate student exchange opportunities with other leading art and design institutions.
Should you wish to study at an institution that's not on our exchange partner list, you may be interested in pursuing the independent study abroad opportunities.
To study as an exchange student at one of our partner institutions, you must be nominated by the International Student Services Office at OCAD U. You may participate in the program for a maximum of one term, either the fall or winter.
You may list up to 2 choices of host institution on the application form. Only one application per student will be accepted.
STEPS INVOLVED IN APPLYING FOR OUTGOING EXCHANGE
1. Do the following before you apply:
- Determine your eligibility.
- Research where to study.
- Think about your budget.
- Have two professors complete the Faculty Recommendation Form.
- Obtain approval from International Student Services and your Program Chair.
- Gather your documents and complete the online application.
2. Apply directly to the nominated host institution.
- If your nomination is accepted by the host institution, you will be sent instructions on how to apply. If we cannot nominate you to any of your choices, you will be contacted for an alternative choice.
- If you can no longer go on exchange after you have been nominated, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so we can offer your spot to another student.
3. Wait for a decision.
- The final admission decision rests with the host institution. They will contact you directly with their decision. It may take up to eight weeks for the host institution to review your application.
- Please forward a copy of your host institution's decision letter to email@example.com as soon as you receive it.
- If you have been offer a place at the host institution, you should accept or decline the offer (email the host institution and firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that failure to maintain a 70% overall average with good academic standing may result in the cancellation of your exchange.
4. Prepare to go on exchange.
- Attend the mandatory pre-departure information session. Information will be sent to your OCAD U student email account prior to your departure.
- Complete the OCAD U Travel Abroad forms.
Register with the Canadian government’s Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
5. Do the following during your exchange term:
- Maintain a full-time course load at the host institution.
- Send us your final course selection, including course descriptions/outlines, for approval.
- Ask your host institution to send an official transcript to OCAD U at the end of the term.
6. Do the following after your exchange:
- Complete the Mobility Exchange Student Report.
- Share your pictures and experiences with us so that we can share it with our prospective exchange students!
Determine your eligibility.
To be eligible you must:
- be an undergraduate degree program student.
- have completed all first and second year major program requirements with a minimum of 10 credits at the time of exchange (The best time to go on exchange is during your third year. You may need to spend an extra year at OCAD U if you wish to go on exchange in the first term of your fourth year).
- have a minimum overall average of 70%.
- be in good academic standing.
- fulfill all OCAD University residency requirements.
- meet the language requirements at the host institution(s).
- Review our list of partner institutions (not all exchange agreements are open to all students).
- Consider things such as culture, climate, cost of living and language of the country.
- Talk to instructors or friends who have visited the area.
- Read exchange reports written by former exchange students.
- Narrow down your list and rank your choices (you may choose up to 2 schools).
- Review your remaining program requirements (visit the Student Advising Centre if you need help).
- You pay tuition and fees for 2.5 credits to OCAD U.
- Estimate the cost of living and travel expenses (airfare, visa, health insurance, accommodation, etc) .
- If you are an Ontario Resident, you may apply for the Joubin-Selig Bursary.
- If you are receiving OSAP/Out-of Province Student Loans, speak to a Financial Aid Advisor in the Financial Aid & Awards Office.
- Your professors must submit this form directly to International Student Services.
- Complete the Mobility/Exchange Program Eligibility Verification Form.
- Go to the MyOCADU Portal, check your overall average, credits completed and credits in progress.
- Visit International Student Services to verify your eligibility.
- Make an appointment with your Program Chair to get approval to participate in the program.
- $100 application fee (receipt from the Cashier's office . This fee is non-refundable).
- The Mobility/Exchange Program Eligibility and Verification Form.
A statement of intent for each school.