Jerusalem - Photo by John Del Rosario
Imagine spending a semester as an exchange student in the United Kingdom, Europe, Israel, Australia, China, Vietnam, Brazil, the United States or another part of Canada, and receiving credit towards your OCAD University degree! Living and studying in another country can provide you with a wealth of unique experiences to enhance your creative, academic and personal development.
International Student Services coordinates a wide variety of undergraduate student exchange opportunities with other leading art and design institutions.
To study as an exchange student at one of our partner institutions, you must be nominated by the International Student Services Office at OCAD U. You may participate in the program for a maximum of one term, either the fall or winter.
You may list up to 3 choices of host institution on the application form. Only one application per student will be accepted.
STEPS INVOLVED IN APPLYING FOR OUTGOING EXCHANGE
- be an undergraduate degree program student
- have completed all first and second year major program requirements, with no more than 15 credits completed by the time of your exchange (The best time to go on exchange is during your third year. You may need to spend an extra year at OCAD U if you wish to go on exchange in the first term of your fourth year.)
- have a minimum overall average of 70%
- be in good academic standing
- meet the language requirements at the host institution(s)
3. Research where to study
- Review our list of partner institutions (not all exchange agreements are open to all students)
- Consider things such as culture, climate, cost of living and language of the country
- Talk to instructors or friends who have visited the area
- Read exchange reports written by former exchange students
- Narrow down your list and rank your choices (you may choose up to 3 schools)
- Review your remaining program requirements (visit the Student Advising Centre if you need help)
4. Think about your budget
- You pay tuition and fees for 2.5 credits to OCAD U
- Estimated cost of living and travel expenses (airfare, visa, health insurance, accommodation, etc.)
- If you are an Ontario Resident, you may apply for the Joubin-Selig Bursary
- If you are receiving OSAP/Out-of Province Student Loan, speak to a Financial Aid Advisor in the Financial Aid & Awards Office
5. Have two professors complete the Faculty Recommendation Form
- Your professors must submit this form directly to International Student Services.
6. Obtain approval from International Student Services and your Program Chair
- Complete the Mobility/Exchange Program Eligibility Verification Form.
- Go to the MyOCADU Portal, check your overall average, credits completed and credits in progress.
- Visit International Student Services to verify your eligibility.
- Make an appointment with your Program Chair to get approval to participate in the program.
7. Gather your documents and complete the online application.
- Pay the $100 application fee at the Cashier's office (this fee is non-refundable)
- Complete the online Outgoing Exchange Application Form and upload the following documents:
- Application fee proof of payment (a copy of your receipt)
- A statement of intent for each school
- The Mobility/Exchange Program Eligibility and Verification Form
We encourage you to submit all required documents well in advance of the posted deadlines. Late applications will not be considered. Please note that submission of this exchange application does not guarantee acceptance in the program at your preferred partner institution(s). It allows International Student Services to nominate you to the host institution(s).
- International Student Services will notify you of which partner institution(s) you have been nominated to and how to proceed with your application. If we cannot nominate you to any of your choices, you will be contacted for an alternative choice.
- If you can no longer go on exchange after you have been nominated, please email email@example.com as soon as possible so we can offer your spot to another student.
- The final admission decision rests with the host institution. They will contact you directly with their decision. It may take up to eight weeks for the host institution to review your application.
- Please forward a copy of your host institution's decision letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you receive it.
- If you have been offer a place at the host institution, you should accept or decline the offer (email the host institution and email@example.com)
Please note that failure to maintain a 70% overall average with good academic standing may result in the cancellation of your exchange.
9. Host institution(s) may request for the following supporting documents with your application.
- OCAD U transcript (request one from the Office of the Registrar).
- Letter of Intent.
- Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- Copy of your passport or passport photo
- Reference Letter(s) - ask your instructor(s) to write one for you.