Interdisciplinary Master's in Art, Media and Design (MA, MDes and MFA)
The Interdisciplinary Master’s in Art, Media and Design (IAMD) draws experienced artists and designers from around the world, encouraging them to investigate and produce works that combine art, design, writing and interdisciplinary academic study to create new forms of visual and social research and creative production.
Each student’s primary discipline and chosen emphasis among art, design, or media practice and theoretical
Students thrive in a creative environment led by an accomplished faculty. Matchless opportunities for innovative learning are offered through visiting experts, internships, independent studies and the Annual First-Year Graduate Student Exhibition.
Upon entering the IAMD program, students will already have strong disciplinary expertise in art, design, media, art history, visual culture or a related discipline, plus an appropriate undergraduate degree and practical experience. They will be interested in augmenting their skills through a program that relies on research, collaboration and
The IAMD program aims to achieve these objectives through a course of study that includes:
graduate leveldirected study in the student’s studio practice
- Seminars in critical theory and research methods
- Elective courses that supplement the core curriculum by allowing each student to explore his or her individual interests in studio, theory or research
- Either a major studio project supported by a written critical analysis (leading to the MFA or MDes degree) or an academic master’s thesis accompanied by a creative project (leading to the MA degree).
- Provide a flexibly structured, advanced studio-based learning environment that enables students to integrate art, media and design production, in combination with other disciplines, through processes that remix theory, methodology and practice.
- Ensure that students acquire advanced research skills for visual and academic investigations in the areas of art, media and design practice and critical theory.
- Foster the development of individuals who can think, create and practise in interdisciplinary ways.
- Contribute to new knowledge in the areas of interdisciplinary art, media and design methods, discourses and creative practices.
- Promote the development of practices that facilitate sustainability, social responsibility and diverse social and cultural perspectives.
Each cohort will be carefully selected to maximize opportunities for interaction among art, media, design and non-studio subject areas. Students will work with an Advisory Committee that includes leading scholars/practitioners in each of their disciplines who will guide the students' individual studies and contribute to the development of their master's thesis work.