Dr. Archie Graham is a former Associate Professor in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences and School of Interdisciplinary Studies at OCAD University. He received his PhD from the University of Ottawa, where he completed a dissertation on the universal creativity of Anglo-American philosopher A. N. Whitehead. His areas of research specialization are contemporary continental philosophy, cross-cultural philosophy and environmentalism.
Dr. Graham retired from OCAD University on June 30, 2013 after 39 years of service.
He taught his first philosophy course at OCAD U, (then the Ontario College of Art), in 1974, and developed a wide range of philosophy and interdisciplinary courses. He introduced cultural ethics to the college, taught cross-cultural courses before they were widely accepted and in his final years of service introduced innovative courses in the cultural politics of medicine, health and wellness. He has published philosophical essays in books, scholarly articles in multiple international journals, a significant body of art criticism for Canadian art magazines, as well as poetic works in national publications.
A caring and dedicated teacher, Graham's paramount concern throughout his tenure at OCAD University was his students: the quality of their educational opportunities and the supportive nature of their learning environment. He worked tirelessly to promote academic and cultural integrity at OCAD U, and contributed to the transformation of the institution into a university. In this capacity, Graham was directly involved in writing the clause for the inclusion of an Academic Council in the first revision of the OCAD Act in 1999-2000. Over the years he has been appointed or elected to a number of administrative and service roles at the institution, including:
- Chair of the former Liberal Arts Department
- President of the OCAD Faculty Association
- Chair of the President's Advisory Committee
- Academic Dean (when this was equivalent of VP Academic)
- Internal Advisor to the Restructuring Team
- Member of Governing Council Member of a small Advisory Committee established by the Governing Council to support the Interim President in the 1990s.
- Member of the Board of Governors
- Chair of the former Academic Council
- Chair of University Senate
Dr. Graham was awarded Associate Professor Emeritus Status at OCAD University’s Spring Convocation Ceremonies on June 6, 2013.