In the Material Art & Design program, you will learn how to create jewellery, textiles and ceramics as a professional studio artist or designer. You’ll focus on making your own designs and will learn the critical and business skills you’ll need to succeed.
In this program, you can choose to focus on textiles or jewellery and metalsmithing. You can also take electives in ceramics, fashion design and wearable technology. Program instructors are top textile, jewellery and ceramics artists and designers.
Our studios are equipped with the traditional tools and new technology needed to prepare you for work as an artist, designer or craftsperson.
If you focus on textiles, you’ll create your own printed, woven and experimental textiles for sculpture, clothing and surface design. You’ll use traditional methods and new technology such as digital printing, embroidery and knitting.
If you focus on jewellery and metalsmithing, you’ll create your own fine jewellery and sculptures with metals and other materials. You will also learn to use traditional methods of fabrication and casting alongside computer-aided design and manufacturing.
At the end of this four-year program, you will earn your choice of a Bachelor of Design or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Learn more about the program.
Graduates of the program work in:
- Textile, jewellery or ceramic art and design
- Fashion and costume design
- Product design
- Interior design
Some students pursue graduate studies in art, craft, design, ceramics, fashion, jewellery, textiles and museum studies.
OCAD U offers so much more than co-ops because creative careers take many forms. Our approach is specialized, and individual to every student’s needs and goals. You will be able to take advantage of:
- Short experiential learning placements from among hundreds of organizations
- Creative in-class projects with real-world industry partners
- Exclusive summer internships
- Gallery exhibitions of your work
- Freelance creative opportunities
- Jobs after graduation
- Opportunities to sell your work
OCAD University’s dedicated support services will help you build a professional community, valuable experience and skills necessary for a meaningful career.
WHAT YOU’LL DO IN THE PROGRAM
In first year, you’ll take intro classes in topics such as:
- Colour and 2D design
- 3D design, fabrication and digital modeling
- Art and Design history
In second year, you will have more choices of classes that interest you and will study:
- Material art history
- Jewellery 3D digital design
- Jewellery casting
- Jewellery fabrication
- Textiles dyeing and printing
- Textiles stitching
- Textiles weaving and knitting
- Courses in liberal studies
Third year will feature an open electives and more advanced courses, such as:
- Jewellery or textiles drawing and rendering
- Jewellery or textiles professional practice
- Jewellery structure and gem setting
- Jewellery or Textiles history
- Textiles weaving, knitting and printing
- Jewellery or Textiles concepts
- Electives such as liberal studies, ceramics and wearable form