Top Ten Financial Checklist for 2012/2013
Whether you are a new or returning OCAD U student, financial planning is an important step in ensuring your success at university. The Financial Aid & Awards office is here to help. Your education costs may be met by a variety of sources, including OSAP, bursaries, scholarships, awards and opportunities to work on campus. Follow the checklist below and let us help guide you through your financial planning.
- Estimate your expenses, including your tuition and fees.
- Consider your financial resources, such as summer income, money from your parents or loans.
- Calculate your financial need. Total expenses - total resources = financial need. Reduce costs or increase resources as required. Meet with us to learn how to make a budget and read our budgeting tips here or in the online book from Financial Aid & Awards: Do What You Love: Financial Planning for Artists & Designers.
- Apply for OSAP or other funding programs, such as the 30% off Ontario Tuition Grant, as needed. Our recommended deadline to apply to ensure your funding is available in September is Friday, July 20, 2012.
To apply, visit osap.gov.on.ca and submit an online application.
NEW! After you submit your application, you’ll print your Master Student Financial Aid Agreement (MSFAA). Bring it to a Canada Post Outlet right away along with your SIN card, valid government-issued photo identification and banking information.
- Apply for bursaries. Deadlines vary but Friday, July 27, 2012 and Wednesday, October 31 2012, are key dates!
- Apply for sholarships and awards. Deadlines vary. New students can apply for the Entrance Award by Friday, June 15, 2012.
- Check your OSAP online application status, if applicable, to ensure everything is in order. NEW! When your loan is available, it will be deposited into your bank account. You do not need to visit Financial Aid & Awards.
- Pay your tuition fees by Friday, August 31, 2012, 4 p.m. If you pay by installment, the second installment is due Friday, February 1, 2013. If you use your OSAP funds to pay your tuition, a $50 late/deferred payment fee is charged.
- Apply for student jobs through OCAD U's work study plan.
- Opt into/out of the Student Insurance Plans (Health & Dental) by Friday, September 28, 2012.
Remember, we're here to help! We're happy to meet with you one-on-one to discuss your circumstances. Contact us.
“You've dealt with me freaking out about being broke. You've seen me at my worst and my best, requesting emergency bursaries and accepting surprising awards. I've been an OCAD U student for six years, and poor for the majority of that time. I never would have gotten this far without all your help, patience and understanding... Please don't forget how many people wouldn't have been able to afford/find help affording education here without you."
Kat O'Shaughnessy, a recent OCAD U graduate
Last Modified:7/25/2012 3:37:35 PM