Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design
Applications for this bursary for the 12/13 academic year are no longer being accepted. Please stay tuned to this page for an application for the 13/14 academic year, coming soon.
About the bursary
The Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design has been established in memory of one of our province's most successful commercial artists by his son John and daughter-in-law Barbara.
This bursary provides up to $11,665 CDN for an OCAD U Faculty of Design graduate to pursue a year of postgraduate studies outside Canada.
The Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design is established on a yearly basis with revenue generated from donations and endowments to the Ontario Trust for Student Support (OTSS) Bursary Program.
In order to apply for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must have graduated from OCAD U from the Faculty of Design in 2010 or after.
- You are studying, or will be starting studies at the master’s level in a design program outside of Canada for the current academic year 2012/13 (up to May 2013). NOTE: Proof of your enrollment in a graduate program will be required prior to bursary payment, if you are selected. You must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) or Protected Person (Convention Refugee).
- You must meet Ontario Residency criteria:
- you were born and always lived in Ontario; or
- you were not born in Ontario but you lived in Ontario for at least 12 months prior to starting your post-secondary studies; or
- you do not meet either of the above criteria, but your partner or spouse does.
- You demonstrate financial need.
You must meet all of the above criteria in order to be considered for this bursary.
How to apply
To be considered for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design, submit an application package including all of the following:
- The completed application form.
- Letter of admissions, copy of application, or proof of registration in a graduate program outside of Canada.
- Graduate program description (may be taken from school calendar/prospectus).
- Artist or Design Statement (500 words) about your professional practice and research interests.
- Letter of intent (500 words) specifically about your graduate studies and potential impact.
- Letter of reference from an OCAD U professor highlighting your academic achievements (including their name, contact info and date).
- Transcripts of all post-secondary studies.
- Letter demonstrating financial need (500 words) and why this bursary would be valuable to you.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The assessment of applicants for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design will focus on the following criteria:
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Potential impact of graduate study/project
- Demonstration of financial need
Completed applications must be submitted by mail, in person or fax to OCAD U’s Financial Aid & Awards office:
- (Mail) OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards Office, 100 McCaul Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1W1
- (In Person) OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards Office, 51 McCaul Street, Toronto, ON
- (Fax) 416-599-4958
If your application has been successful, you will be notified by email.
Thank-you letter and communications
Recipients of the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design will be required to write a letter of thanks to the donor of the bursary upon notification that they have received the award. They must also write a final report about their experience for the donor at the completion of their studies and may be requested to share their story through various Financial Aid & Awards communications.
For more information
OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards
Diana Bahr, Financial Aid Projects Officer
416-977-6000, Ext. 3841
Last Modified:2/14/2013 4:33:26 PM