Be a Student Mentee!
What is a Student Mentee?
A Student Mentee is a new or first-year undergraduate student who signs up to participate in the Student Mentor Program, and is looking for assistance with their transition to OCAD University:
- involvement with the campus community
- making new friends and engaging with faculty and staff
- knowledge regarding OCAD U procedures
- advice about student support services
- information about extracurricular activities
- and more!
To support this, a knowledgeable upper-year student volunteer Peer Mentor is assigned/matched to each Student Mentee. The program runs June through November.
What is your responsibility as a Student Mentee?
- be an active and responsive participant
- engage in dialogue with your Peer Mentor
- retain your critical faculties: listen, think and evaluate
- seek new skills and capacities; not just knowledge
- be open to multiple influences and opportunities
- take responsibility for your success as a student!
- support your own academic and social success!
- respond to your Peer Mentor's inquiries or be removed from the program
What is your Peer Mentor's responsibility?
- initiate contact with you via the email you provide
- ask questions and engage you in actual dialogue
- share experience, information and knowledge
- listen and provide answers to your questions
- provide encouragement and guidance
- introduce you to the OCAD University community
- support your academic and social success
Whether you are an advanced standing or first-year student, a mature student or an international student, there is a supportive volunteer Peer Mentor who can share her/his diverse experience. Student Mentee/Peer Mentor assignment emails start June 4, 2013 (see schedule below). Watch your email and spam!
APPLY to be a Student Mentee!
Apply anytime, May to September through this convenient online form.
Don't forget that it is YOUR responsibility as a Student Mentee to communicate with, and respond to, your Peer Mentor's inquiries. You are looking to take an active role in your success as a student. If you do not respond to your Peer Mentor's efforts, understand that you will be removed from the program at the discretion of OCAD U Campus Life who coordinates the program
2013 Peer Mentor/Mentee Email Assignment Schedule
Initial Peer Mentor Assignment emails (which will include the name and contact information of your assigned Peer Mentor) will be sent out at
4:00 p.m. per the following schedule:
Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
No assignment emails will be sent out July 30 or August 6
due to staff vacation.
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Note: if you wish to have a Peer Mentor assigned to you before O-DAYS! (September 3 and 4), the deadline to do that is Friday, August 23, 2013)
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Peer Mentors are asked to initiate contact via email (by Friday) within three business days of receipt of your information. Be sure to check your spam/junk mail folders for initial emails from Brent Everett James, Campus Life Coordinator and subsequently, emails from your assigned Peer Mentor.
Peer Mentors were Mentees once too...
"I was scared and confused about going into university, so I signed up to be a Mentee. My Peer Mentor helped me get involved and adapt to the environment, to great advantage." ~ Rong Rong H., Peer Mentor
"Being a Mentee in my first year helped me make friends... I felt like I belonged to a community of students that wanted to help each other make the best of their university experience." ~ Cassi W-L., Peer Mentor
"I was very intimidated to begin (at OCAD U) at age 17 and becoming a Mentee connected me with someone who understood university when I felt moments of panic and uncertainty." ~ Josie M., Peer Mentor
Brent Everett James
Campus Life Coordinator
Student Success Programs
416-977-6000, Ext. 275
Program Coordinator, Mentorship
Student Success Programs
416-977-6000, Ext. 4021
(Photo by Esra Tasdemir)
Last Modified:5/8/2013 1:48:48 PM