Show/Hide Images

Nicole Beno Vinyl Mural. Photo by Ana Altamira.

Records and registration

Photo by Ana Altamira.



Change of Address

Students are responsible for maintaining and updating changes to a mailing address in myOCADU. If a student is unable to update their address online, they can email the Office of the Registrar at

Change of Name

Students may submit a Name Change Form to the Office of the Registrar for:

  • a legal name change or
  • change to a preferred name

For a legal name change, complete a Name Change Form AND present ONE of the following to the Office of the Registrar: 

  • Legal Change of Name Certificate
  • Valid Canadian passport
  • Valid Canadian driver’s licence
  • Court order
  • Marriage certificate (English, French or certified English translation)

For a Preferred First Name change: No documentation required.

OCAD University’s Use of Name:

  • Legal Name
    Your legal name is used for all official documentation. This includes official transcripts, confirmation of enrolment forms, tax forms, diplomas, confirmation of graduation, etc. Staff in the Office of the Registrar can view your legal name.

  • Preferred Name
    Your preferred name is used for internal OCAD U purposes and is the only name that displays to other OCAD U staff and faculty who can see your record. Only your preferred name will display in the Learning Management System (Canvas) and on your student identification card. For most students, their preferred name is the same as their legal name.

Name Changes
Name changes in your student record will be reflected in university systems, including Canvas and the student card database, within 24 to 48 hours. 

Student Identification Cards
Student ID cards are issued in the name on record the first time you register for courses. If you request a name change (legal or preferred), you will be subject to the standard fee for issuance of an updated student ID card.


Change of Major/Program

Undergraduate students may apply to change their major/program. Students entering or currently in fourth year are not normally eligible for a change of major/program. Final approval is subject to an assessment of space and eligibility. Successful applicants must complete all requirements of their new area of study. 

The Change of Major/Program form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the published deadline.

Change of Registration Status

Requests for a change from part-time to full-time status must be supported by the Chair of the students' area of study. The application is due prior to the start of the semester the change in status is to take effect.

The Change of Registration Status must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

First-Year Art - Major Program Request

First-year general Art students are required to complete and submit a Major/Program Request form to the Office of the Registrar. Space may be limited and is assigned on a first-come-first-served basis.

Students can view their approved major in My Progress under My OCAD U Records (myOCADU) in late March.

First-year general Art students may apply to transfer to Material Art & Design effective winter semester (January). A Material Art & Design Program Request form must be completed and submitted to the Faculty of Design office, Room 500, by Thursday, December 1, 2016

Graduate Studies - Request for Permission to Audit

Graduate students may audit courses provided space is available and permission has been granted by the course instructor. A Graduate Studies Request for Permission to Audit form must be completed and approved by both the course instructor and the Graduate students' Program Director before being submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the third week of classes.

Undergraduate - Request for Permission to Audit

Undergraduate students may audit liberal studies or studio/seminar courses provided space is available, permission has been granted and the appropriate course fees have been paid. A Request for Permission to Audit (Undergraduate) form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar within five business days of the end of the course change period.

Minor Declaration

Current undergraduate students in good academic standing may declare a minor at any time after completion of a minimum of 4.0 credits and prior to submitting an Intent to Graduate Form. The Minor Declaration form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Post-Graduate Certificate Program - Application for Admission

Post-Graduate Certificate Program Application (PDF)

For more information regarding the Post-Graduate Certificate Program, please email


Students eligible for reinstatement include those in good academic standing who have been absent from the university for more than two years, and students who have been withdrawn from the university because of poor academic standing and remained absent for the requisite time period.

All student seeking reinstatement must complete and submit an Application for Reinstatement form and a non-refundable application fee. 

  • May 2017 admission — application deadline: November 4, 2016

    (The deadline has now passed.) [Updated: 2016-11-7] 

  • September 2017 admission — application deadline: February 3, 2017.

    There is no winter term admission.

    Conditions are as follows:
  • Applicants must apply for reinstatement to the program in which they were last registered. 
  • For admission into a new program, applicants in good academic standing must apply through the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC).
  • Applicants who require 10 or more credits to complete their program may be reinstated to degree programs only.
  • Applicants who were last registered in diploma programs must meet the eligibility requirements for transfer to degree, otherwise their reinstatement will be offered on a conditional basis.
  • Returning diploma students who require fewer than 10 credits to complete their program may, if eligible, be reinstated to the corresponding degree program, or complete diploma requirements.
  • Applicants who have completed credits at other recognized/approved post-secondary institutions may apply for Transfer of Credit, which must be awarded at time of admission.

    Note: Transfer of credit will not be granted for studies completed in the year of obligatory withdrawal from OCAD U or completed within two years of the last registration at OCAD U.

Request for Accommodation

A student who foresees a conflict between a religious observance and any scheduled class assignments must notify the instructor in writing using the Request for Accommodation form (PDF) within 10 business days of the first class.

Request for Course Description

To request a description of a course offered prior to Summer 2004 (after which all are available online as part of OCAD U's course calendar archives), please complete a Request for Course Description form (PDF). Submit the form with the accompanying non-refundable fee to the Office of the Registrar.

Request for Deferred Final Examination/Critique

Request for Deferred Examination/Critique (PDF)

See Policy # 1019 Examinations for further information.

Request for Diploma/Certificate Replacement/Duplicate

Request for Diploma/Certificate (PDF).

Please submit along with the related fee to the Office of the Registrar.

Request for Challenge Credit

Challenging a course for credit allows students to demonstrate proficiency in the subject matter of a specific OCAD U course without having to complete the entire course. Students must follow the qualifying instructions found in the Request for Challenge Credit form, and submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

Request Proof of Enrolment

Request Proof of Enrolment (PDF)

Forms must be submitted with the accompanying fee to the Office of the Registrar. Requests cannot be processed until outstanding accounts have been cleared.

Request for Confirmation of Graduation

Request Confirmation of Graduation (PDF)

Forms must be submitted with the accompanying fee to the Office of the Registrar. Requests cannot be processed until outstanding accounts have been cleared.

Request for Transfer of Credit

Students applying for Reinstatement, Transfer from Diploma to Degree, or Degree completion, and seeking approval for course credit completed at another recognized/approved post-secondary institution to be recognized toward their graduation requirements at OCAD U, must complete and submit a Request for Transfer of Credit form along with an  Application for Reinstatement or Transfer from Diploma to Degree form to the Admissions Office.

Transcript Request

Transcript Request (PDF)

Form must be submitted with the accompanying fee to the Office of the Registrar. Requests cannot be processed until outstanding accounts have been cleared.

Transfer from Diploma to Degree

Transfer from Diploma to Degree (PDF)

Form must be submitted with application fee to the Office of the Registrar. All applications are subject to review


OCAD U is committed to providing accessible information to our community. If you require information published by Records and Registration in an alternate format, please forward your request to and let us know what format is preferable. (Alternate formats include: large print, sign language interpretation, braille, e-text, closed-captioning, standard text, voice, digital audio, video, etc.)