IMPORTANT NEWS! Due to recent changes to the Canadian government's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the International Student Services office is not able to provide international students with advice on immigration applications (study permits, work permits, temporary resident visas) at this time. We can, however, help you find the information you need on the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website and refer you to other resources as necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience this change to the law may cause.

Working on campus

Details for 2015-16 coming soon!

If you are registered as a full-time international student, you may work on campus at OCAD U for as long as your study permit is valid. You do not need a work permit.

There are a limited number of on-campus jobs available for international students through the International Student Work Experience Program (ISWEP). ISWEP opportunities vary from year to year and are posted on the OCAD U Talent Network at the beginning of September.

Working off campus

If you a full-time student with a valid study permit, you may work off-campus up to 20 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours per week during scheduled school breaks and holidays.

For more information, visit the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website

Working after graduation

The Post-Graduation Employment Program is designed to provide graduating international students with Canadian work experience. You may be eligible to work in Canada for up to three years after graduating.

The work permit that is issued is "open." This means that there are no restrictions on the type of employment and you do not need to have a job offer at the time you apply.

You must apply for the post-graduation work permit within 90 days of receiving official notification from OCAD U that you have completed your degree requirements and have been approved to graduate. Your study permit must still be valid at the time you apply for the work permit.

You can apply online through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are going to work in Canada, either on campus or off campus, you will need to apply to the government for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Your employer cannot pay you until you have this number.

You can apply for a SIN card at a Service Canada office. The closest Service Canada office to OCAD U is at City Hall at 100 Queen St. West. You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Your passport
  • Your study permit
  • Your post-graduation work permit (for those who have graduated)