Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
The objective of the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is to assist full-time and part-time students from lower- and middle-income families meet the costs of post-secondary education through a combination of federal and provincial grants and loans.
The purpose is to supplement, not replace, the financial resources that students (and their families, if applicable) are expected to contribute.
To apply for OSAP, learn when and how to receive OSAP funds and find out how to maintain or repay OSAP loans, visit the OSAP website.
Eligible OCAD University programs
The following OCAD University programs have been approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities as being eligible for OSAP funding:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (all program major areas) (BFA)
- Bachelor of Design (all program major areas) (BDes)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Visual and Critical Studies (Honours BA)
- Associate of the Ontario College of Art & Design Diploma (all program major areas) (AOCAD)
- Post-Graduate Certificate (all areas, including the Florence Program Advanced Visual Studies Certificate)
- Interdisciplinary Master's in Art, Media & Design (MA, MDes, MFA)
- Master of Fine Arts in Criticism & Curatorial Practice (MFA)
- Master of Contemporary Art, Design and New Media Art Histories (MA)
- Master of Design in Inclusive Design (MDes)
- Master's in Digital Futures (MA, MDes, MFA)
- Master of Design in Strategic Foresight and Innovation (MDes)
- Master of Inclusive Design (MDes)
- Master of Design in Design for Health (MDes)
The following OCAD U Program is NOT approved for OSAP funding by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities:
- Graduate diploma in Digital Futures
2016/17 Fall/Winter application deadlines
Our recommended deadline to apply to ensure your funding is available in September is Friday, July 15, 2016. Applications normally take 4 to 6 weeks to process. Final deadlines are below.
For 2016 summer session information, visit the Summer Assistance site.
OSAP's final deadline to apply is 60 days before the study period end date:
Fall only (1 term): October 20, 2016
Fall and Winter (2 terms): February 21, 2017
Winter only (1 term): February 21, 2017
OSAP's final deadline to apply is 42 calendar days before the study period end date:
Fall only (1 term): November 7, 2016
Students receiving OSAP
Winter only (1 term): March 10, 2017
In general, to avoid a late payment fee, you must:
1) Submit your application and all supporting documentation to the Financial Aid & Awards Office by July 15, 2016 for the Fall term and October 20, 2016 for the Winter term.
2) Opt to have OSAP funds directed to the school to pay tuition only
3) Pay any outstanding tuition balance (beyond what OSAP will cover) by September 14, 2016,
for the Fall Semester or DATE TBA for the Winter Semester.
4) Be fully registered. If you have applied for full-time OSAP for two terms, you must be registered in at least 60% (or 40% for students with disabilities) of a full-time course load in both Fall and Winter terms in order for your OSAP Confirmation of Enrolment to be processed.
Confirmed students will receive their funding electronically to the bank account specified on their MSFAA (or to their student account, if directed) beginning in September (Fall term) or beginning in January (Winter term).
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at FinancialA@ocadu.ca.
OSAP has a number of appeals for students with special circumstances that are not recognized in the standard OSAP application. Please visit the Financial Aid & Awards Office in person to discuss your situation with an advisor.