About the bursary
The Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design was established in memory of one of our province's most successful commercial artists, Alfred T. Vivash, by his son John and daughter-in-law Barbara.
This bursary provides up to $12,000 CDN for an OCAD U Faculty of Design (see note below) graduate to pursue a year of postgraduate studies outside Canada.
The Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design is established on a yearly basis with revenue generated from donations and endowments to the Ontario Trust for Student Support (OTSS) Bursary Program.
In order to apply for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must have graduated from OCAD U from the Faculty of Design in 2016 or later (Note: if no student meets the criteria, the applicant pool will be opened to students graduating from the Faculty of Art who wish to study internationally)
- You must be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person
- You must meet Ontario Residency criteria:
- you were born and always lived in Ontario; or
- you were not born in Ontario but you lived in Ontario for at least 12 months prior to starting your post-secondary studies; or
- you do not meet either of the above criteria, but your partner or spouse does
- You are studying, or will be starting studies at the master’s or Ph.D. level in a design program outside of Canada for the academic year 2017/18 (up to May 2018). NOTE: Proof of enrollment in this program will be required prior to bursary payment, if selected.
- You demonstrate financial need
You must meet all of the above criteria in order to be considered for this bursary.
How to apply
To be considered for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design, submit an application package including all of the following:
- The completed application form emailled to firstname.lastname@example.org with all supporting documents, or print and submit to address below)
- Letter of admissions, copy of application, or proof of registration in a graduate program outside of Canada
- Graduate program description (may be taken from school calendar/prospectus)
- Artist or Design Statement (500 words) about your professional practice and research interests
- Letter of intent (500 words) specifically about your graduate studies and potential impac.
- Letter of reference from an OCAD U professor highlighting your academic achievements (including their name, contact info and date)
- Transcripts of all post-secondary studies
- Letter demonstrating financial need (500 words) and why this bursary would be valuable to you (include student loan summary with application)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The assessment of applicants for the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design will focus on the following criteria:
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Potential impact of graduate study/project
- Demonstration of financial need
Completed applications must be submitted by email, mail, in person or fax to OCAD U’s Financial Aid & Awards office and will be accepted until Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
- (Email) email@example.com
- (Mail) OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards Office, 100 McCaul Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1W1
- (In Person) OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards Office, 230 Richmond St. W, Level 5
If your application has been successful, you will be notified by email in June 2017.
Thank-you letter and communications
Recipients of the Alfred T. Vivash Bursary for International Graduate Studies in Design will be required to write a letter of thanks to the donor of the bursary upon notification that they have received the award. They must also write a final report about their experience for the donor at the completion of their studies and may be requested to share their story through various Financial Aid & Awards communications.
For more information
OCAD U Financial Aid & Awards
Kelly Faller, Financial Aid Advisor
416-977-6000, Ext. 257