Volunteering on campus is an ideal way for OCAD University students (and alumni) to get involved and make new friends through interaction with peers, faculty and staff, while networking in the community.
There are a number of opportunities throughout the academic year:
- Admissions events and activities
- Campus Life programs: Mentoring and O-DAYS!
- Diversity and equity-oriented committees
- LOOK INSIDE annual open house
- Nuite Blanche at OCAD U
- OCAD Student Union events and activities
- Student initiatives and engagement
- Sustainability task force initiatives, and more!
What's in it for you?
Volunteering is a great way to get experience. Be sure to list it on your résumé and it will be seen by many of your potential employers as a demonstration of initiative, resourcefulness and commitment.
What else do you get from volunteering? We're glad you asked!
- An opportunity to contribute to your community
- The discovery of new interests
- A "heads up" on other unique events and opportunities
- Networking possibilities
- Personal and professional growth
- Skills development
A key factor to remember when volunteering is to check your schedule before you commit. The success of an event can be dependent on you, so when you do commit, follow through and do what you volunteered to do; show up, go the extra mile to show that you’re dependable, and have fun! The impression you make will speak volumes.
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is law. OCAD University is legally mandated to provide AODA Customer Service information and training to all employees, volunteers and student leaders.
Volunteer on campus (or work, or lead a student group), and you are required to complete the online AODA modules* (which require 50 to 60 minutes to complete).
*NOTE: if you have already completed these online modules as a requirement of another on-campus job or volunteer position, please go directly to Step 4 and send an email as confirmation of your AODA training. You do not need to do it again.
On-campus volunteer opportunities are for students and alumni only.
Brent Everett James
Campus Life Coordinator
Student Success Programs
416-977-6000, Ext 275