This month, OCAD University is pleased to offer some OPTIONAL workshops and opportunities to help you get prepared in advance of the coming year. Each workshop will be offered multiple times, and you are welcome to come when it is convenient for you. Come for a morning or an afternoon or the whole day; it's up to you! These workshops are offered on a drop-in basis; registration in the workshops is not required, but we ask that you bring your student number with you so you can register when you arrive.
Please see the full schedule below. Details for the workshops follow.
2017 Schedule TBA
Academic Advising Workshop
Understanding and being able to navigate academic policies, procedures and deadlines is essential to being a successful student.
- In this workshop, staff from the Student Advising Centre will:
- Orient you to relevant academic policies, processes and deadlines;
- Identify places you can find academic and personal support on campus;
- Answer frequently asked questions about the first-year experience;
- Provide tips to help you be a successful student and get the most out of your time at OCAD University.
Academic Success Workshop
The Writing and Learning Center would like to congratulate and welcome you to OCAD University! We know you have lots of questions about starting university and would like to help you prepare for your new adventure this coming fall. The summer Onboarding workshops will support your academic transition into university and will help you:
- Prepare for self-directed and self-motivated learning in a university setting;
- Become aware of academic expectations of university;
- Understand how to break assignments into small steps and study effectively for university level courses;
- Have a confident and positive mindset for entering university.
Computing and Technology Information Session & IT Help Desk Visit
OCAD U IT Staff will be present to give you the low-down on using technology at OCAD U. As well, a recent grad will share some valuable insight into how students benefit from OCADU technology resources. Bring your questions as we will also have an open Q&A session!
Topics covered in this session include:
- Your account, how to log in and access online resources;
- Canvas - our Learning Management System;
- Laptop Program - how to get your software, how to get help;
- Student Email;
- AV Equipment Loans;
- Your Data, back it up; and
- How to get help.
Immediately following the session, students can visit the IT Help Desk to find out about the services available to students, including laptop imaging.
Library Introduction & Tour
We exist in a complex knowledge environment that often blurs boundaries between research, advertising, propaganda and "info-tainment." At the OCAD U Library we will help you become "information literate" so that you can expertly find the information you need for inspiration, collaboration and creation. Come visit the library this summer for a fun introduction to our print and electronic collections and begin making the OCAD U Library the starting point for all your research needs.