Digital Media, Research + Innovation Institute (DMRII)
The Digital Media Research + Innovation Institute (DMRII), founded in 2010, facilitates the applied and academic interdisciplinary integration of research and innovation at OCAD University. DMRII was funded by the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation (MRI) with a total budget of $18 million; received a contribution of $9 million in 2008; and matching funds have been attained through research funding and industry-collaboration partnerships.
The DMRII consists of laboratories, exhibition, meeting and fabrication facilities, research technology and infrastructure resources. It is responsible for research business development, institutional collaborations, private-sector partnerships, coordination of research outreach and providing project management services.
DMRII supports research excellence and training in a wide range of art creation, applied research investigation, project-based research and commercialization projects that use human-centred research methods, develop and apply new design tools and design-thinking processes, all combined with the strengths of invention, experimentation and the interpretive qualities of art-making practices.
DMRII Labs, research groups and research projects have received significant public and private funding from the following agencies:
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation (matching Ontario Research Funds) CFI-ORF funding. Visit our latest funded CFI-ORF project here.
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario) ARC funding. Visit our FedDev projects here.
- J.W. McConnell Family Foundation, RECODE catalyst grant. Visit our RECODE project here.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE). Visit one of our research projects here
- Ontario Media Development Corporation OMDC’s Research grants. Visit our latest funded OMDC project here
- Ontario Research Fund- Research Excellence (ORF-RE) funding via the Centre for Information Visualization and Data Driven Design (CIVDDD). Visit one of one of our funded projects here.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) funding. Visit our latest funded NSERC project here.
- Social Sciences and the Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) funding. Visit our latest funded SSHRC project here.
For more information, please contact:Monica Contreras, OAA
Director of Operations, Digital Media, Research + Innovation Institute
(former Director of Digital Futures Implementation)Office of Research & Graduate Studies
T 416.977.6000 x 2462
205 Richmond St West, Suite 701, 7th floor
Toronto, ON M5V 1V3