NATIONAL PORTFOLIO DAY
Saturday November 8, 2014
100 McCaul Street, Toronto ON
12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (doors open at 11:45 a.m.)
Admission is free, no pre-registration required
An education in art and design is a special learning experience. National Portfolio Day is your opportunity to meet professionals from some of the finest design and visual arts schools in North America. It’s not a competition, and no offers of admission will be made. Bring your portfolio, of your best and most recent work, and have it critiqued by the school of your choice.
About the day
At our National Portfolio Day event reviews are held from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and take place on a first-come, first served basis. No reservations or advanced registration is required. We recommend that participants arrive prior to the event to secure a spot in line. You will be waiting outside prior to the event so we suggest that you protect your work, bring an umbrella and a snack. Once you are inside, you will be given a map and you can join the line for the school you want to meet with.
What should you bring?
Include a variety of finished pieces in your portfolio that demonstrate your ability to work with a wide range of techniques, materials and subject matter. Drawings may be from direct observation as well as from your imagination and memory. New media or time based work can be included. Work exploring colour, form, mixed media, and 3D approaches are welcome. In addition to finished pieces, your portfolio may include works in progress. Include a sketchbook/creative journal to demonstrate your creative process and work habits. Do not mat or frame your work, or worry about the presentation. The work itself is what is of interest.
No admission decisions or scholarship awards are offered at National Portfolio Days.
Colleges and Universities that attended the 2013 Toronto National Portfolio Day at OCAD University. The 2014 list of schools will be available in September:
- Alberta College of Art + Design, Calgary AB
California Institute of the Arts(Collards), Valencia CA
- College for Creative Studies, Detroit MI
Columbus College of Art & Design, Columbus OH
Concordia University - Faculty of Fine Arts, Montreal QC
Emily Carr University, Vancouver BC
- FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising, Los Angeles CA
- Kansas City Art Institute, Kansas City MO
- Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University, Grand Rapids MI
- Lawrence Technological University, Southfield MI
- Lesley University College of Art and Design, Boston MA
- MICA/Maryland Institute of Art, Baltimore MD
- Maine College of Art, Portland ME
- Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design, Milwaukee WI
- New York School of Interior Design, New York NY
- Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD University), Halifax NS
- OCAD University, Toronto ON
- Paris College of Art, Paris France
- Parsons The New School for Design, New York NY
- Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
- Pratt Institute, Brooklyn NY
- PrattMWP, Utica NY
- San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco CA
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC), Chicago IL
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston MA
- School of Visual Arts, New York NY
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond VA
For more information about the National Portfolio Day Association please visit their website.
Representatives from OCAD U attend several National Portfolio Day Events throughout North America. Bring your work, have it critiqued and meet with OCAD U Faculty and staff. A list of the events we will be attending will be available in September.
Last Modified:7/30/2014 12:10:39 PM
Put Your Best Portfolio Forward
CONTACT UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS
Julie Staffieri, Admissions Coordinator
416-977-6000, Ext. 310
Casey Hinton, Recruitment Coordinator
416-977-6000, Ext. 2055
Tammy Madden, Admissions Officer
416-977-6000, Ext. 308
Sean Baker, Manager, Student Recruitment
416-977-6000, Ext. 4868
Jan Sage, Director, Admissions & Recruitment
416-977-6000, Ext. 236
Admissions & Recruitment, OCAD University, 100 McCaul Street, Toronto ON, M5T 1W1