Diversity & Equity Excellence Award for Students
The Diversity & Equity Excellence Award for Students acknowledges an outstanding student whose advocacy and leadership promote and advance human rights, equity and social justice on campus. The award is sponsored by OCAD Student Union and the Office of the Vice-Provost, Students & International, and includes a $1,000 prize and congratulatory letter from OCAD University President and Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Sara Diamond.
OCAD U will foster a rich engagement with multiple perspectives and practices and our students will be formed and informed by a wide spectrum of knowledge and experience embodied in an inclusive variety of communities, philosophies and ways of knowing. OCAD U will provide a work and learning environment that respects, supports and values all students, staff and faculty and promotes equitable access to, and participation in, the ecology of OCAD U.
Equity refers to the rights of individuals and groups to an equitable share of resources and influence in society. “Equity” means equitable access and outcomes. Equity work analyses and challenges unfair systems and practices and works towards the creation of equitable outcomes.
EligibilityCurrently enrolled (part-time or full-time) OCAD U undergraduate and graduate students.
Each year the selection committee will consist of:
- Director of Diversity, Equity & Sustainability Initiatives
- Vice-Provost, Students & International
- Campus Life Coordinator, Student Success Programs
- Two members of the Student Union Board
- Nominations will be accepted from all members of the OCAD U community such as students, alumni, faculty and administration until Friday, February 24, 2017.
- Nominations must be submitted with the student’s consent and the student’s signature.
- Students cannot nominate themselves.
- Nominations must include a description of the nominee’s exceptional contribution to OCAD U and to
equity and diversity using the selection criteria outlined below.
Nominators are encouraged to provide supporting documents that speak to the Selection Criteria (below), to aid the committee’s understanding and selection
Download this 2016/2017 nomination form or pick up a printed copy in any of the following locations:
- Campus Life (Level 5, 230 Richmond St. W.)
- Office of Diversity, Equity & Sustainability Initiatives
(Level 6, 230 Richmond St. W.)
- OCAD Student Union (Level 6, 230 Richmond St. W.)
Please describe nominee’s achievements by explaining in no more than 500 words:
- Specific examples of how the nominee meets the selection criteria outlined below.
- How these examples have advanced equity on campus.
- Any additional points you feel would be relevant to the selection committee.
Nominations are to be submitted to the attention of Brent Everett James, Campus Life Coordinator, Level 5, 230 Richmond St. W. (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) no later than Friday, February 24, 2017.
- Advocacy and leadership in promoting human rights, equity and social justice.
- Active and consistent commitment to attaining meaningful inclusion of students from systemically, structurally and historically marginalized communities by identifying and addressing barriers and finding pathways to access for all students.
- Consistent and/or impactful engagement in creating or supporting opportunities on and off campus to advance understanding and promote social change.