1. Will Priority Registration apply to minors?

Priority Registration applies only to majors. Check the Course Calendar/Registration Guide for specific information. After that first period, all students, including those pursuing a minor, will have access to all courses. To help ensure enough spaces in each course, you must declare your intended minor!

2. Can I declare a minor in a different Faculty from my major?

Yes. You may opt for a minor in any Faculty. You may also choose an Interdisciplinary Minor, which includes courses from all three faculties.

3. What other considerations should I keep in mind if I decide to declare a minor?

Keep in mind your career objectives and the difference between minimum requirements and recommended requirements. You may well decide not to use all of your allowable electives for the minor; that is, you may opt to take additional credits.

4. Can the same courses be used toward both the major and the minor or toward multiple minors?

No, you may not double-count a specific individual course. You may not use the same course to fulfill the requirements of more than one program. So if a specific course or subject is listed as a requirement in your major program guide, you may not use it toward both your major and your minor. You must find a different course to fulfill the requirements of the minor. Please note that liberal studies distribution requirements are graduation requirements but do not constitute a program.

5. What is the role of liberal studies distribution credits in a major or minor program?

You must take a minimum of 5.0 credits in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences to graduate with a BFA or BDes. These distribution requirements provide breadth across disciplines other than studio art and design: English (ENGL), Humanities (HUMN), Social Sciences (SOSC), SCTM (Science/Technology/Mathematics), and History & Theory of Visual Culture (VISC). But they do not constitute a program and you have a large range of choice in fulfilling these distribution requirements. Whatever your major or minor, up to 3.0 liberal studies distribution credits may be used to fulfill requirements for the major or minor. If a specific liberal studies course is required for your major, you may not use it toward your minor; you must select an alternative course.

6. Is special permission required from an Associate Dean to take courses in another Faculty toward a minor program?

You do not require permission to use some of your major program electives or expansion studios toward a minor in another Faculty (up to the limits cited in #3 above). However you are strongly encouraged to speak with a student advisor about what combination of electives or expansion studios and minor programs best fulfill your career objectives. Please note that liberal studies distribution requirements for graduation are still in effect but may be combined with any requirements for a minor program.

7. Will distribution requirements change with the minor programs?

No. None of the existing graduation requirements for your major or for your liberal studies distribution requirements will change.

8. How will minors affect international students on a visa?

Minors should not have any effect on international students. If a visa student requires additional time to complete a degree, he/she can apply for an extension of his/her study permit.

9. May I complete a minor following graduation?

Majors and minors are components of an undergraduate degree program and students must complete all requirements for both their major and their minor prior to graduation.

Alumni may apply for admission to Postgraduate Certificate programs. Postgraduate Certifitcate program requirements are similar to those of minors, with the exception that a maximum of 1.0 credit of eligible undergraduate coures may be applied to the Certificate. For details go to Postgraduate Certificate.

10. Can I do a double minor?

In theory, yes. But please remember that you cannot use the same course toward more than one minor. Also keep in mind that you are working toward an undergraduate degree. Consider the amount of time and tuition required for a major plus a double minor relative to your career goals. We strongly recommend you discuss your plans with a student advisor.

11. How will the introduction of minors impact my plans to go to graduate school?

The answer to this question depends on the graduate program you wish to apply for. In general, the addition of a minor to your program of study signals breadth of interest. Any future employer or graduate admissions committee would view that as a serious indication of multidisciplinary capability. If you are interested in graduate study, we recommend you consult with one of the Chairs or Associate Deans in your Faculty and/or with the graduate programs that interest you for advice about minors.

12. How will minors impact mobility exchange programs?

A maximum of 0.5 credits may be transferred to a minor. All other credits for a minor must be completed at OCAD U, your remaining mobility exchange program credits will be applied only to your major requirements.

13. What if I declare a minor and don’t complete it?

There is no penalty for declaring a minor and not completing it. However it will not appear on your transcript unless you have completed all requirements.