Independent study provides students with the opportunity to undertake studies of significance to their educational objectives, where otherwise not available through the regular university curriculum. Independent studies are supervised and evaluated by OCAD University faculty*. See Senate Policy #1012 Independent Study, Undergraduate.
Third and fourth year level students with 10.0 or more completed credits with a minimum overall average of 70% are eligible to apply for independent study.
Students may take a maximum of 1.5 credits in independent study and/or field placements (see Senate Policy #3005 Experiential Learning Placement Program).
- Complete Independent Study Application Form (PDF)
- Project Proposal
Studio independent studies must be approved by the student's program chair. Liberal Arts & Sciences independent studies must by approved by the Associate Dean of the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Students must also submit a comprehensive proposal (minimum 500 words) of their study project that is initialed by the supervising teaching faculty*. This proposal should:
- Explain goals or learning objectives
- Describe the type and extent of research
- Discuss specific skills and knowledge to be developed
- Discuss the benefits this project will add to the student's studies
Deadline to submit form and proposal
2015 Summer term: April 1
2015 Fall term: July 15
2016 Winter term: November 6 (Updated: 2015-11-05)
Independent studies are coordinated through the Office of the Registrar.
Supervision & evaluation
Students are required to initiate regular meetings with their supervising teaching faculty, and complete the three formal critiques required each term.
During the first formal critique, the evaluation criteria for the project are to be defined by the student and the supervising teaching faculty. All critiques are to include a written narrative addressing these criteria by the supervising teaching faculty.
* Please note that not all faculty are available as independent study supervisors. Students should verify if the faculty they select is available before proceeding with their application.