English Language Pathway Program
In-class language support for first-year ELL students
Why do the English Language Pathway program?
You can continue to develop your university language skills in four of your required first-year classes:
• Build skills in class that will help you understand lectures and
readings and build your art and design vocabulary
• Learn and practice the language skills you'll need to participate in
• Be part of a community of English Language learners
Who is the English Language Pathway program for?
Pathway is open to all first-year Design students and first-year Art (general) students. It is a small program, so register as soon as possible!
What courses are in the English Language Pathway program?
Three LAS courses and one studio course:
• VISC-1001-012 Global Visual and Material Culture: Beginnings to 1800
• VISC-1002-001 Global Visual and Material Culture: 1800 to the Present
• ENGL-1004-001 The Essay and the Argument: ELL (Fall)
• GDES-1014-007 Colour in Context (Fall): This is a 3 hour hybrid
course. One hour of class time takes place online, the other two hours
are in a classroom with your instructor.
If you are in Environmental Design, Industrial Design or Material Art & Design you will take GDES 1014 Colour in Context instead of GDES 1022 Colour and Two Dimensional Design.
If you are in first year art (general) you will take GDES 1014 Colour in Context instead of GART 1004 Colour Exploration.
How do I register for the Pathway program?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Subject line: “English Language Pathway”
• Include your name and OCAD U ID number (student number)
• Say that you want to enroll in the English Language Pathway
The Office of the Registrar will automatically enroll you in all of your Pathways classes. Don't forget to register for your other non-Pathway courses too!
The Office of the Registrar will also let you know if the Pathways program is full, so you can register for other available sections.
Pathways Course Schedule 2015-16: