The Plastics Shop (Room 117) is a well-equipped space that provides students with access to the facilities and equipment required for plastic fabrication. Processes undertaken in the Plastics Shop include:
- Cutting (table saw, band saws liquid cooled and dry cut, shear, panel saw, chop saw)
- Abrasive shaping (dry and wet belt sanding, spindle sanding)
- Machining (milling machine, lathes, drill press, jointer, routing)
- Vacuum forming
- Heat forming and bending
- Vacuum degassing
- Pressure casting
The Plastics Shop is now closed for the summer months.
Consumable materials can be purchased from technicians or class assistants during open studio hours. Please check studio and shop schedules in order to ensure you are not interrupting a class when you go to buy materials. Materials can only be bought using OCAD U tickets. Tickets can be purchased from the Cashier, Monday to Thursday, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Cashier is located in the Rosalie Sharp Pavilion, 115 McCaul Street, Level 1.
The following materials are readily available for students to purchase:
- Acrylic; clear, translucent, opaque
- Co Polyester/Vivak/Uvex
- Low/high density polyethylene
- 100% recycled post consumer polyethylene
- UHMW polyethylene
- Urethane Foam
- Expanded polystyrene foam (blue insulation)
- Fiberglass/Carbon fiber
- High Density Polyethylene
- Polyester: clear, general purpose, gelcoat
- Various Epoxies
- Silastic M Silicone Rubber
4176-977-6000, Ext. 244
We are now in Spring/Summer 2014 session. Please check individual studio pages for updated schedules.
Only those students registered in studio courses for Spring/Summer 2014 session have access to shops and studios during summer months.