The Studio Management department at OCAD is committed to advancing environmental leadership and promoting sustainability through their studio operations. The shops and studios have implemented many initiatives that reflect “green” thinking and practice. These include:
- A studio-wide waste diversion program that involves recycling and reusing scrap studio materials for class projects
- The purchase of recycled materials (such as polyethylene plastics) for class supplies
- The implementation of a new vegetable/coconut oil-based solvent called Estisol to replace the use of toxic solvents in Printmaking Studios. For more information on estisols visit http://www.estichem.com
- BIO-CIRCLE, a self-contained bio-remediation unit used to clean oils with microbes, installed in the Metal Shop. For more information on bio-remediation visit http://www.biocircle.com
- A silver recovery program implemented in the Photography Centre where waste chemicals are pumped through a metallic replacement cartridge, which removes the silver and replaces it with iron, an environmentally safer agent.
- Old rubber moulds from Foundry & Mouldmaking Studios are cut into pieces and reused for packing material
- The campus-wide use of natural, environmentally friendly cleaning products by janitorial staff and studio technicians
The shops and studios will continue to support and launch programs committed to environmental responsibility, and invite OCAD community members to submit ideas, comments and feedback about sustainability initiatives to Studio Management.
Welcome all spring/summer 2013 students! Only those students enrolled in studio courses have access to the shops and studios during the summer months.
Please check individual studio pages for updated schedules.
Thank you to all who participated in TOOLBOX 2012!
A celebration of studio based education
Wednesday, November 7 & Thursday, November 8